Tesla Model S P85

Tesla Model S P85

Postby Andrew[MG] » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:14 pm

As driven by John Shiveral http://www.tartantarmac.com/tesla-model ... est-drive/

Has anyone else had a shot of one yet?
Andrew[MG]
Site Admin

Re: Tesla Model S P85

Postby Robert Burns » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:08 pm

I would love to have a drive of one.

I do find the technology great and how this car performs is amazing but I do like other have that feeling in the back of my mind. How many supercharge points will there be. Is 50k to 100k worth it. And that's the real point for me.

For the same top end price your in BMW i8 range. That gives you amazing performance with good futuristic looks. And you can still drive to London and back just but going to the petrol station 2 or 3 times, but even then you still fill up half as much as my M3 V8 would use.
Robert Burns

Postby frag68 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:18 pm

The article makes for very interesting reading. Thanks John for the review.

I do see electric cars as the future, and with battery life increasing, ranges increasing, these cars are beginning to look like a sensible option to petrol/diesel powered deriviants. Going back 120 years when the motor car was in its infancy, only the rich could afford the "iron horse" while the masses made do with wooden bikes or horsepower, but the prices soon fell to that of the masses, and whilst the Tesla isnt so far away that only the super rich could drive one, it is expensive for the average man in the street. So in essence, the prices of these vehicles will fall over time making them affordable to more and more people. The only thing which wasnt mentioned is the battery itself. Does this come with the car or is it like Renault/Nissan, where you lease the battery?

Would I buy one however? Most definitely, but like John, my love is older cars, and there will always be petrol flowing in my blood.
frag68

Postby EcurieArgyll » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:44 am

It is a lot of money. Their "Model 3" will be due sometime after Model X, so that should be approx 2016. That should be much higher volume and a less expensive entry point.

Their car factory is a former joint venture between two of the big US manufacturers (can't remember whether it was GM and Chrysler or Ford or whatever) but it has huge capacity and I think they are only touching 5-10% of that capacity with Model S.

I believe the battery is one of the main limiting factors right now. It is a very substantial percentage of the cost of the car (not leased). They are currently manufactured in Japan by Panasonic with raw materials from Africa. Tesla are building a huge new additional factory to build the batteries themselves on a bigger scale, using materials mined/sourced from the US to reduce the carbon footprint of the production. Should be interesting and there is certainly no lack of ongoing investment in the venture.

Personally, I need a car that can tow, so I am waiting for Model X, but am slightly concerned it will look like a big people van. We shall see.
EcurieArgyll
Site Admin

Postby KB_S1 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:05 am

I passed a dark blue Model S on the M8 coming onto the Kingston Bridge a couple of weeks back.
Got to say, it looked superb in amongst the other traffic.
I have been trying to convince someone to take a serious look at them but, so far main concern is that the nearest service centre will be Manchester.
Not had a chance to read the review yet so apologies if that is covered.
KB_S1

Postby frag68 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:49 pm

Not sure what these would be like. The torque would be good but the range would concern me but I suppose we will have to wait and see.

I am led to believe Elon Musk, the founder of PayPal is also behind Tesla.

I saw a white one a few weeks ago in Moffat and I do think the design is really good.
frag68

Postby EcurieArgyll » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:59 pm

It is Elon Musk behind the company. He's trying to save the planet single handed!

It is highly likely (i.e. as likely as something gets before it is officially announced) that there will be a service centre in Edinburgh. I believe Tesla, conscious of the distance issue, will be transporting cars for owners living more than 100 miles from the nearest service centre.

Interestingly, Tesla say that servicing will be recommended but optional because there are so few mechanical parts. The cars will communicate issues back to base and the service people will contact owners of cars that they believe to need remedial action.
EcurieArgyll
Site Admin

Postby Steelej » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:36 pm

I would love one of these, but, they got the price totally wrong in the UK. *Sadface*

John
Steelej

Postby Dominic » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:30 pm

That's an impressive looking package. It's also good to hear about the rapid charge facility - that would make something like this a much more realistic proposition IMHO - pity I suspect the rapid charge stations will be few and far between. I assume there is a charge for using the rapid charge (and other charge points)?

I would also be interested to find out how charging this at home every night would effect your electricity bill - a point which the tree huggers seem to forget in promoting EV's is that we still have to pay for our electricity, and where does that come from?!?! I appreciate it's likely to be considerably cheaper to run than a fossil fueled car, but how much, and how much cheaper?...
Dominic

Return to General Chat